The dangers of methamphetamine (“meth”) contamination
When a building has been exposed to the manufacture/cooking and use of meth, toxic chemical residue (known as volatile organic compounds or VOCs) is left behind on and within all structural materials (including walls, ceilings, cabinets, doors, flooring, plumbing/septic and ventilation systems).
Although there are telltale signs of meth contamination (refer below to FAQ), obvious evidence is often removed by law enforcement prior to release of the property for decontamination. Chemicals used to make meth vary, but often include dangerous acids, bases, metals and chemical salts. The scope of damage, toxic residue & VOCs left behind are not always detectable merely by sight or smell. Exposure can be very dangerous to humans and pets when inadvertently ingested, absorbed through the skin or inhaled.
VOC exposure may cause symptoms not unlike being poisoned:
- Disorders of the Central Nervous System
- Lethargy/ Sleeplessness
- Confusion/ Dizziness
- Respiratory irritation/ Breathing Difficulties
- Nausea/ Vomiting
Certified 3rd party Screening/Preliminary Assessment testing is required to determine if contamination exists and to what degree. To avoid any conflicts of interest, Powers Environmental does not perform assessment testing, however, we can help coordinate 3rd party testing when needed.